Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Little Things

I have a bit of an obsession with coffee mugs. I like to buy mugs and display them on black shelves in my kitchen. But not just any mugs, they have to fall into the "really-spiffy-looking-that-would-match-my-kitchen-perfectly-I-can-see -myself-sipping-a-hot-scrumptious-drink-from-that-curled-up-on-a-crisp-fall-day" category for me to buy it. Most of my mugs are black and of different shapes and sizes, some have black outside and bright colors on the inside, many are from Pier 1 (love that store!) some only cost a dollar and one is handmade from Campbell Pottery.

I find that having carefully selected these mugs makes them more enjoyable to use. As homemakers we need to make our lives and the lives of those around us richer and more full of beauty. Drinking tea, coffee, or cocoa from a beautiful mug is one way I enrich my family's lives.

It's the little things that make the biggest differences: Water goblets for a regular family dinner, cloth napkins instead of paper ones, plush throw pillows scattered on the sofa to cuddle up with while watching a movie, softly lighted floor lamps to add coziness to a room, a small bouquet of flowers in a vase, a scented candle- all these things add a richness and "homey" feeling to our houses.

The little touches will look different for each home, but the important thing is to make it a priority to include these little things in your daily life. Perhaps it would be good to splurge on some fancy wine glasses to enjoy wine in after a stressful day. (Or even check out the dollar stores. Some of my favorite glassware has come from dollar stores.) What about some nicer table linens? Make your home an enjoyable place to be. Whether you do it for your family or just to enjoy by yourself, you won't regret it.

No comments: