Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cake Decorating

I made this cake for my in-laws' 30th anniversary. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Frosting roses can be intimidating to try, but they're really quite easy once you get the hang of it. check out the Wilton website for instructions and a video showing how to make these roses.

I was able to make the roses a few days ahead of time and then I froze them until I needed them. It really helps to have a good, thick frosting to work with. This is the recipe I used:

Decorator Frosting


Ingredients
7 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup all-vegetable shortening
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (I used vanilla extract instead)

Instructions

Combine sugar and shortening in bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on low speed until ingredients start to come together. Beat in almond extract. Gradually add milk as you increase mixing speed until frosting is smooth and creamy. If necessary, beat in a few more drops of milk until it reaches the desired consistency, which should hold firm but pliable peaks.

I torted both layers and filled them with raspberry jelly. Yum!

Does anyone else have any cake decorating ideas? I'd love to know if someone has had success using fondant.

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Crystal has had much success with fondant, but since she doesn't even know this blog exists I doubt she's going to share her secrets.

What exactly did you have a question about? I've watched her use fondant at least twice so I might be able to provide some answers

Raquel said...

I've always wanted to try fondant, but I haven't yet. In fact, as I was reorganizing some kitchen stuff this morning, I realized that I haven't used any of my cake decorating stuff in a long time. Perhaps soon I will be inspired to tackle even the dreaded frosting rose...

Adiel said...

Gaby,
I was wanting to know tips and techniques like: How thin should I roll it out? What's a good recipe? Does it store well? Is there a good way to color it? How much frosting should I put on the cake first?

I had bought some ready-made fondant and it tasted terrible! So a recipe would be greatly appreciated. (You could always ask Crystal to stop by this blog to share her tips.)