Monday, October 29, 2007

Granola Recipe

My dad asked me today how I make my granola and since I don't really use an actual recipe I just wrote out what I usually do as well as I could remember. I thought I'd share this somewhat odd recipe with you all, too.

Note: You don't have to add Crispy Rice cereal if you don't want to. Just add a bit more rolled oats instead.

Adiel's Funky Granola

3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
7 or 8 cups rolled oats
3 or 4 cups Crispy Rice cereal
1/2 to 3/4 box of raisins
Cinnamon

I've also added slivered almonds, dried cranberries and ground flax seed. All these optional ingredients must be added after the granola is done baking.

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl (except raisins.) Heat honey, oil, and vanilla in saucepan until mixture is thin. Drizzle honey mixture over dry ingredients. Mix well. Make sure all the dry stuff gets coated with the wet stuff. (Technical terms, eh?)
Put mixture into dutch oven (I use cast iron frying pans) and turn oven to 350. Stir it every ten minutes and keep an eye on it so it doesn't over cook. Granola should look lightly toasted and dry, but not really brown. I think I usually let it bake for about 30 minutes. Then I take it out of the oven and add raisins, dried cranberries and whatever else I want while the granola is still hot.
This makes quite a big batch.

Yummy idea: mix a few scoopfuls of granola with yogurt for a really yummy snack or lunch.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

You could also add yogurt raisins if you're in the mood. They add yogurtness and raisiness at the same time.

Seth was waxing eloquent about granola recently and said that his favorite parts were the burnt bits. So I made granola and I tried to burn it, but I was just too cautious. If you happen to be making granola for someone as odd as my brother you should let it bake for more like 45 minutes to make sure you burn some of it.