Friday, November 9, 2007

Lighted Wine Bottle

Sometime last year I had seen a catalog that was selling wine bottles with lights inside them. They looked so elegant and unique I just loved them and as I was contemplating purchasing them I thought, "Wait a minute. Why can't I just make something like that instead?" (On a side thought, never forget to ask yourself that question about anything you're looking to buy. Maybe you can make it, maybe you can't or maybe you really don't have the time to make it, but always ask yourself that question and you'll be amazed at what you find you can create! Just ask Raquel about duct tape and sandals.:-))

So here is what I came up with:

We had this empty wine bottle and I thought it looked perfect for this project. I took a short string of white "Christmas" lights ( it might have been a 50 or 60 light string) and stuffed it into the bottle. You have to have to use the kind of lights that have a plug only at one end since there's no way a huge plug will fit into a regular wine bottle. Leave enough cord sticking out the top of the bottle so that you can easily plug it in somewhere. I taped the cord to the back of the bottle to keep it hidden from view.
I love how my lighted wine bottle looks and its so easy to store from year to year. I do have to be careful how long I keep it lit because the bottle does get hot after a while.

3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Ooh, how pretty. Another idea for old wine bottles is to use them as candle holders. The mouth of the bottle is small enough that you really have to wedge the taper in so there's less chance of your lit candle suddenly falling over. Plus the wax will drip down the bottle and change its look from use to use.

Barb said...

The official wine bottle for candles is a Chianti bottle.

Illuminated Spirits said...

Please see my lighted bottles at
http://illuminatedspirits.blogspot.com

I put mini lights in bottles, with the wire coming out a small hole at the base rather than out the top. I drill the hole with a glass and tile bit. To get the wire through the small hole I snip off the plug and then splice the plug using a Levitron rocker switch.